Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What a million people looks like..

Unfortunately I don't have a wide enough lens to capture the shoulder to shoulder comfort that I watched the fireworks in, but maybe you could imagine. The annual Busan fireworks festival was this past weekend, and Becky, Dan, Ashley and I got to witness the spectacle first hand. It was a two day event, with the first day showcasing traditional dancing followed by a lazer light show, while the second day held even more dancing and demonstrations with the ever awaited fireworks display to cap it all off.
Although on the Friday night (the first night) I missed the lazer show due to teaching, I did get to take in the sights at Gwangalli beach.
The music was... tough to judge because my ear is trained by Canadian music, and not Korean, so we'll say that the music was 'different'. It was really amazing to be there though. One guy came up on stage and played a type of jazz horn, or something, and just went crazy on this little horn, hitting crazy notes (I actually thought he sounded horrible.. but that was just my ears..).
The following night was the main event, the fireworks. It was estimated that about 1.3 million people would be showing up; .3 million for the Friday night, and 1 million for the Saturday. Well, when the four of us finally arrived on a jam packed subway (I was squished against the door), we walked toward the beach with the police directing all of the people. When we finally got to a place where we could see the bridge, we could no longer move. We were completely out of room, but... we could see, and that was more than some people.
The fireworks display went on for about 45 minutes, and was incredible. There were green lasers and spotlights, the whole shebang. Although it was crowded and we didn't get that great of view, it was still worth going down there and experiencing it first hand. Who knows, if they have another one and I have the option of watching it on tv or seeing it live, I think I'd still choose the latter.

Check out all the cellphones in this one! As soon as the show started they took 'em out! So funny!

For more pics, click here

1 comment:

garrett said...

This night was pretty interesting. I've never been so squashed for so long ever. I have bruises and scrapes from those pushy Koreans! The fireworks were elaborate and maybe even a bit excessive though, and I really did enjoy them... despite the crowds.

And those subway crowds. WoW. There aren't enough words for THAT!